Warm weather means springtime…and the start of snake season. Male snakes are out looking for female snakes to mate with, meaning human and snake encounters are on the rise.
Snake Encounter Do’s and Don’ts
- Walk slowly away from the snake, keeping an eye on it.
- Keep your pets away from the snake.
- Identify the snake’s species from a safe distance. Try to identify the snake without getting too close to it. Georgia’s DNR’s website can help identify different species.
- Leave the snake alone if it is not venomous and not inside a house or building.
- Do not try to catch or kill the snake. Native non-venomous snakes are protected by law in Georgia. Killing one of these snakes is a misdemeanor offense, punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine (O.C.G.A. 27-1-28).
- Remember: snakes don’t want to be near us any more than we want to be near them and will usually move on in their own time.
Georgia’s Six Venomous Snakes
It is statistically rare to see a venomous snake in Georgia. Out of the 46 species of snakes native to our state, only six are venomous (timber rattlesnake, copperhead, eastern diamondback rattlesnake, cottonmouth, and eastern coral snake) and only one of those (the copperhead) usually lives in residential areas. Venomous snakes should be professionally removed from your property to ensure that no one, including pets, gets hurt.
Excluding snakes is similar to excluding rodents—difficult for your buildings and almost impossible for yards. You can still take some steps, similar to the ones you’d use to keep out rodents, to prevent finding snakes inside your home or buildings. Inspect each building’s exterior. Snakes usually enter at ground level and can fit through tiny cracks or holes (as small as 1/8” wide) so closely inspect the foundation for unsealed wire or pipe entry points, and seal basement windows or doors that do not seal tightly.
Wild Trappers’ state certified wildlife trappers remove nuisance wildlife from your property via safe and humane animal trapping and removal techniques for residential and commercial properties. We then repair any animal damage, clean-up droppings and nesting materials, and provide exclusion services to prevent re-entry. We’ll inspect your property inside and out, top to bottom, to identify the entry points and potential problem areas and offer you safe and cost effective solutions. Please call 770-828-9622 or contact us through our online form today for a quote or inspection.